Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Eggs in the Foscarnet Basket

Since my Life with GVHD update, I've continued to be pretty ill.  Last Wednesday I was actually admitted to the hospital for accelerated hypertension, continued abdominal pain and bleeding, and generalized weakness.  I was evaluated by endocrine, nephrology, and GI and allowed to come home Saturday (I kinda forced the issue but nothing was going to happen in the hospital that couldn't be done as an outpatient at that point).
Anyway, the biopsies came back Tuesday (yesterday) and showed diffuse and severe CMV infection of my esophagus, stomach, small and large bowel (you should see the pictures--pretty impressive).  As I've eluded to in the past, I'm on the first line treatment for this bug but it's clearly not working.  The pathology showed complete villous atrophy which mostly explains my malabsorption issues (my TSH is over 100 now).
But, I consider this all good news because it means we can try a different medication.  As I write this, I'm sitting in the Infusion Therapy Center receiving my first dose of foscarnet (the go-to drug for gancyclovir-resistant CMV).  Foscarnet is kinda a nasty drug which is why I need to be monitored for the first couple doses.  It's going to be an IV therapy twice a day and it will require a good amount of IV fluids to be administered concomitantly to avoid injury to the kidneys or serious alterations in my electrolytes.  But if it works, it could really improve my quality of life and make the treatment of a lot of other things much more straightforward....so pray that it does!

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Aaron. Let me know if there is anything that Genae and I can do. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can a stranger become a friend and pray to God for you? Yes! So I have and I am! In fact, we are brothers in Christ since we have the same Father. Don Stoll, CCH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying! Sending love! May the PEACE of our Lord Jesus Christ and the fellowship of His spirit be with you both as a couple.

    ReplyDelete