Thursday, November 29, 2012

Who will it be today? #4

Who will it be today?  The cancer patient.

My year's supply of Toppers' pizza has come in really handy.  Beth and I have enjoyed being able to bless people with all the pizza we can't possibly eat.
One of the advantages of living and working around a place like Mayo Clinic is that there's no shortage of visitors in need.
I was walking through Methodist Hospital's lobby today and saw a woman who was clearly a cancer patient.  Aside from a lack of hair she seemed to be relatively well and capable of enjoying some pizza.  I introduced myself and asked if she was in town for a while.  "Couple days," she said.  I asked her if she liked pizza, gave her this week's coupon and a copy of my letter, and wished her the best.  Easy peasy.

Maybe it was too easy.  I think I actually dodged my assigned appointment for something more convenient.  As I was walking downtown I came across an elderly person raking leaves across the street.  I couldn't make out whether the individual was a woman or a man, but I could definitely tell he or she was too old to be raking leaves.  I think that's the person God wanted me to approach and, as much as I hate to admit it, that was the person God wanted me to rake leaves with.  I actually stopped in the middle of the sidewalk for an awkward amount of time and considered the situation.  I "reasoned" with God that I had to get to work (I didn't really), I wasn't dressed to rake leaves (there wasn't really much raking left to do), and that if God wanted me to help the person He should have put us on the same side of the street (not exactly a high-traffic area).

I truly hope the cancer patient is blessed by the pizza, but I know in my heart I dropped the ball.  I hope God will give me another shot and that I'll be more faithful.  This whole process is about learning lessons.

Who will it be tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment